CBR250 Forums banner

Should the IOM TT be banned?

  • Yes, I agree with Wayne Gardner

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Wayne Gardner and the other pussies should harden the fuck up

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the TT is a big event and dear to the hearts of many here, especially our Irish brethren.

It all started with this "rant" from Gardner on his website

http://www.waynegardnerapproved.com/wr12.htm

and led to this response from crash.net

http://www.crash.net/road+racing/news/161223/1/wayne_gardner_demands_immediate_tt_ban.html

which led to this response from Wayne

http://www.waynegardnerapproved.com/wr15.htm

and this subsequent response from crash.net

http://www.crash.net/road+racing/news/161306/1/under_fire_gardner_renews_attack_on_insane_tt.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,703 Posts
Fuck that noise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,965 Posts
i dont see why ppl are that surprised by what wayne said.. its all true.. not should the race be banned? i dont think so.. i dont believe in saving ppl from themselves so if they want to race.. let them.. i for one do appreciate the TT racing and wouldnt want to see it banned if ppl want to keep racing in it.. but sure as hell i would never do it. its the one race where when i watch the on board footage i get scared!!!

it does come down to choice tho so no.. i dont think it should be banned
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,629 Posts
I can't believe he's being such a whiny bitch. As far as it goes, I'm totally against people who put other people in danger, but as far as I'm concerned, if somebody wants to take an educated risk themselves then they should go for it, its not like people are ransoming these guys families, or that its a unique event. There is road racing the world over, its just that the IOM is the most famous event, which is why it garners attack from people who don't think before they open their mouths.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
I'm not surprised to hear that someone thinks it should be banned but i wouldn't have picked an ex racer to campaign against it..
although when i read it i thought it might have been a joke when he said the "substantial prize money" from watching interviews with riders and reading articles pretty much all of them said the prize money was shocking and that they did it for the love.

personally i would love the chance to compete in the IOM TT (if i was any good), but i'd definitely do my last will and testament and have my affairs in order first.

IOM TT in my opinion is the purest form of motor racing on the planet and i for one would be very sad to see it go


TT goodness ^^^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ I think that pic was taken from the Macau GP rather than IOM TT, I think it's Steve Plater, but nonetheless it's still no less dangerous than the TT and no less exciting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,648 Posts
TT Superbike Race (Race 1) Total Prize Fund – £70,500
Position Lap 1 Lap 2 Lap 3 Lap 4 Lap 5 Lap 6 Total
1 £200 £300 £500 £1,000 £2,000 £18,000 £22,000
2 £150 £200 £300 £800 £1,500 £10,000 £12,950
3 £100 £150 £200 £600 £1,000 £7,000 £9,050
4 £75 £100 £150 £400 £725 £4,500 £5,950
5 £50 £75 £125 £300 £500 £2,950 £4,000
6 £25 £50 £100 £250 £300 £2,250 £2,975
7 £75 £175 £200 £1,550 £2,000
8 £50 £125 £175 £1,150 £1,500
9 £100 £150 £1,050 £1,300
10 £75 £125 £1,000 £1,200
11 £50 £100 £950 £1,100
12 £25 £75 £900 £1,000
13 £50 £850 £900
14 £25 £800 £825
15 £750 £750
16 £700 £700
17 £650 £650
18 £600 £600
19 £550 £550
20 £500 £500

Source - http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=209859 .. who knows if it's true. I do remember hearing that it's fark all though ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
slojo said:
^^ I think that pic was taken from the Macau GP rather than IOM TT, I think it's Steve Plater, but nonetheless it's still no less dangerous than the TT and no less exciting.
yeh was worried that i couldnt figure out where on the IOM it was taken, one of my favorite photos tho.


actual TT goodness^^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,965 Posts
Drew said:
I can't believe he's being such a whiny bitch. As far as it goes, I'm totally against people who put other people in danger, but as far as I'm concerned, if somebody wants to take an educated risk themselves then they should go for it, its not like people are ransoming these guys families, or that its a unique event. There is road racing the world over, its just that the IOM is the most famous event, which is why it garners attack from people who don't think before they open their mouths.
now drew.. i think someone that hasnt even been to the track yet, calling an ex racer "a whiny bitch" is bit rich! i think he might have a slightly better insight into the racing and its dangers than any of us.

he has as much right to express his opinion as anyone else and its not like he is launching a campaign with pitch forks against the tt.

as i said before, i am all for freedom of choice to race at the tt or not but also free speach so just launching a bunch of insults against gardner is bit stupid.

EDIT: thought i better change it a bit since it read a bit too harsh and that wasnt the intent
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,538 Posts
i actually find myself agreeing with cerby... unfortunately everything gardner said IS true...

I still don't think it should be banned, though.

Those entering understand the risks and they knowingly and willingly sign up knowing that riding the IOM TT course is probably one of the hardest things you'll do on a sports bike in racing. They know this, understand how real the threat of death is, and sign up and ride. What more can the organisers do? They lay it all out there. Everyone knows the risks.

Banning the TT would be a big loss for people's rights to do what they want when properly informed of the risks.

In Australia if an event like that was run you can bet your arse that it would have been canned by now. Luckily the Isle of Man is not so draconian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,703 Posts
It's a bit fucked to say that because the risks aren't worth it to him the event should be banned.

A better question should be how many spectators have been killed in that time? I'm pretty sure it's none.

I really want to race at the IOM one day, I'd be fucking pissy if I can't because someone feels it's in the best interests of the greater good not to have it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,873 Posts
I could understand people that show no interest in bikes wanting it banned but cant comprehend people that have motorcycle fumes and oil running through their blood wanting it gone??

The IOM TT is the holy grail of motorcycle racing as far as im concerned. With MotoGP and WSBK the machines are pushed to the limit, with the TT and the road racing scene over there (Skerries, NW200 etc) the riders and machines are on the edge! Mucho Respecto from me guys!

To me this is like push bike riders wanting the Tour De France banned...

Road racing is like a religion to a road rider like me, its like the riders have halos.. And ginormous gonads!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,703 Posts
Drifty said:
Met Wayne Gardner at a tracky @ EC once and he was a complete wanker - Still is by the sound of it.
You guys get everyone up there.. Ross Noble rolled up once too yeah?

Best we get is emasculated by Cam Donald :blush:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,629 Posts
Cerberus said:
Drew said:
I can't believe he's being such a whiny bitch. As far as it goes, I'm totally against people who put other people in danger, but as far as I'm concerned, if somebody wants to take an educated risk themselves then they should go for it, its not like people are ransoming these guys families, or that its a unique event. There is road racing the world over, its just that the IOM is the most famous event, which is why it garners attack from people who don't think before they open their mouths.
now drew.. i think someone that hasnt even been to the track yet, calling an ex racer "a whiny bitch" is bit rich! i think he might have a slightly better insight into the racing and its dangers than any of us.

he has as much right to express his opinion as anyone else and its not like he is launching a campaign with pitch forks against the tt.

as i said before, i am all for freedom of choice to race at the tt or not but also free speach so just launching a bunch of insults against gardner is bit stupid.

EDIT: thought i better change it a bit since it read a bit too harsh and that wasnt the intent
I've been to the track, I just haven't done a track day. I'm also very aware of the risks they face, but what I'm saying is that if he doesn't want to do it thats fine, but if he wants to whine about other people doing it I think thats a bit rich, its not like somebody is running a scam on them, or they don't know what they're getting themselves in for.

Also, I thought I might mention that I thought it was funny that you don't like my opinion about his opinion :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,141 Posts
why don't they just take the money factor out of it... would that relieve pressure from the riders to not push so hard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,703 Posts
Humbug said:
why don't they just take the money factor out of it... would that relieve pressure from the riders to not push so hard?
.... Shit no.

They're out there because they fucken love going fast. The money makes it at least possible to partially subsidise racing there. Removing the price money would solve the problem by killing it in the long run because less people could afford to race, but I really doubt there's anyone on the IOM TT ladder who's there for the money and not for the rush.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,141 Posts
so that carrott business is a load of bs then...

its abit of a pickle... I love the race alot but I can also see where he is comming from.

maybe they should ban the race but allow free riding as a televised event? it would kill the interest though, I would imagine.

I don't think they could slow the riders down... as you said, they are in it just for the fun... maybe the only way would be to ban it all together...

it would be a sad day indeed.

but then again... they would probably race on public roads illegaly and kill them selves anyway... so it sounds like a loose loose situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,703 Posts
I don't see the lose. People die, it's dangerous.

Oh well, people die. Shit happens.

Should the government just ban everything that anyone's ever died doing? We can all just sit very still in a sterile room waiting to see if we die of boredom or old age first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,573 Posts
Humbug said:
why don't they just take the money factor out of it... would that relieve pressure from the riders to not push so hard?

if you think that these guys enter the IOM TT for the money, you're more crazy than they are.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top