CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...with my 250.

I took in my bike to get serviced this morning, and what do I get back? It runs insanely smooth, has a new nimble feel and the battery actually charges now.

$1400 Overhaul as follows:
Sport Demon Tyres Front and Rear
New Pads Front and Rear
RK Chain (+ slider thingos)
New Sprockets
New Reg/Rect Assembly
plus a General Service inc Plugs, Oil, Oil Filter + labour obviously.

Any tips for new chains/tyres?

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
* whistles, $1400!!!

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
I just spent $200 on a jetting kit, K&N air filter/filter oil and new front fender... Hope they get here before holidays end.

As for your new tyres - use the next 150kms to break them in. In this cold weather you're going to have zero grip on waxy tyres - so just take it easy, very easy. About 150km to 250kms should do it.

And for your chain - go buy some chain grease/wax/oil and give it a greasing up every 500kms, and a clean with kero/degreaser and a toothbrush & regrease every 1000km and it will last longer than your bike!

And now that you've had a big service, do the next one yourself. Oil/filter changes are a walk in the park on the 250!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bought for a few cases of beer, spent a few hundred bucks on new levers all round, battery, air & oil filters, and a few other bits and pieces like matching-keyed ignition, tank and seat locks. Currently running n00bed Dunlop Sportmaxxes as a hangover from the previous owner. Plenty of thrashing left in them on the edges - there was just a big flat spot in the middle of the rear when I got the bike haha.

Petcock cleaned and fitted back with a custom gasket (handmade by yours truely), plugs inspected and cleaned, new goodies fitted and a tank of Caltex 98 dumped in along with Valvoline 10W-40 in the sump with the new filter...after a case flush. Side fairings removed due to tatty appearance and fuel line replaced and fastened with hose clamps instead of clipties. Chain tensioned to stop it coming off (again, very slack previous owner) and, finally, I gave the poor thing a Meguiars polish.

Last on the list was several hundred kay of hard riding with a backpack of tools. No faults appeared apart from the carbys leaking fuel when stationary. Stripping them this weekend for a good clean.

I would also advise you service, at least basically, your own bike. It saves you money and gives you a good idea of the condition of the bike and lets you learn about maintaining a vehicle. If you're uncomfortable about anything more advanced than oil, filters, brakes, coolant, chain and plugs then just take it to the mechanic when its time for a valve check and explain that you've already done oil, filters, chain etc and only require a valve check/adjustment along with any other work he can see needs doing such as carby synching.

Cheers - boingk

S

·
0 Posts
You should of got me to do it for you. I could have saved you some coin.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
should've tried to do it most yourself
would've saved a fair amount of money and the joy of riding something you've fixed is undescribeable

C

·
0 Posts
Congratulations. Don't ever spend that much again though, I think that is pretty much unanimous.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
damn dude. who is your daddy, and what does he do.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
studricho said:
You should of got me to do it for you. I could have saved you some coin.
Being a Gongonite you probably know of HARS. I was involved in an aviation company there and actually rode the cibby down a few times. Should have made the pitstop to the infamous garage!

I only forked out so much because I want it in schmick condition and done professionally. coughresalevaluecough. Also, me the poor-arse gumby student needs his 20 year old Honda to be reliable.

Reg/Rect Electrical thing was $250 fucking dollars which bumped it up a lot. Oh yeah and loving the cold/wet weather with mah waxy tyres.

·
Registered
53 Posts
coughresalevaluecoughp
Demands the question...why? Its not going to add its cost to your bike, but will definitely ensure its in good condition. That isn't money I'd be spending on a bike if I didn't intend to keep it.

- boingk

R

·
0 Posts
Ninexz said:
wow, i think thats the biggest bill for a cbr service I have seen so far.
My first service cost me $2200 - and I was not happy... never again will it go to a mechanic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Christ almighty, you guys are getting totally ram-rodded...

I know I'm not helping, but this is just insanity. What the hell was in a $2200 service???

- boingk

R

·
0 Posts
boingk said:
Christ almighty, you guys are getting totally ram-rodded...

I know I'm not helping, but this is just insanity. What the hell was in a $2200 service???

- boingk
not $2200 worth of work... I just took it to the wrong place, and had a shit time talking to the "workshop salesman" and not the actual mechanic working on my bike. never again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts