CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've got an Arai Vector helmet and even with all the vents closed I'm getting a bit of wind noise, which is coming from the bottom of my helmet. Any suggestions? I was thinking of riding a scarf because I don't like to do my jacket up tight around my neck because it annoys me.

Also, when I turn my head I hear alot of whistling - this is normal for all helmets, right?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
wind noise is normal. BUT!!!! a proper fitting helmet will have less noise then a helmet that is to big.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Wear a scarf and buy a scooter :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Arai's are supposedly a bit noisier due to the visor covers on the sides.
You'll get used to it after a while, or failing that just ipod up.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its definitely not too big. It's a perfect fit.

I could always wear earplugs but I love the sound of my bike too much :) I'll probably use noise isolating earphones soon. Hopefully it will get rid of wind noise, but allow me to listen to music and still hear the sound of my bike (and any horns/sirens nearby).

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
there's a certain amount of noise with all helmets, saying that my first helmet was a KBC V3 and i found it to be very noisey, then i bought an AGV TI-TECH and I found it was less wind noise but had a pretty mean visor whistle, now i have a shoei XR1000 and it's by far the quietest of my helmets, no visor whistle and very little wind noise.

if it's really annoying try ear plugs.

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
If you're in Sydney then wear a scarf - if you do so in other cities people may think you're gay. In Sydney, the residents will just think you're cold (unless you're on a Scooter such as a Vesper, then they'll think you're gay).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha I'll tuck it into my jacket so it doesn't get in the way of my sight.. or even worse.. make me look gay.

Will try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Helmets are pretty sensitive to your head position, try lifting and lowering your chin, you'll probably find that theres a position where the wind noise drops away a lot.

I've got an X-11 and I find that if I have my head right up then the wind noise is pretty bad, theres a high pitched whistle, but if I lower my chin a little then everything sorts its self out.

Also, fared bikes are far noisier for wind than nakeds, because of the fairing directing air at your head, so experiment with your head position and you'll probably find that theres a bit of an optimum.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention, helmets ALL generate wind noise which is deafening at highway speeds, so you should really be wearing ear plugs anyway.

R

·
0 Posts
How on earth do you keep earphones in your head when you put your helmet on? I tried it once after the gym, after 2 attempts, I rode home with 1 earphone in and the other stuck to my cheek.

Do you guys have big helmets or small ears? :p

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
they are the in ear type so they stay in pretty well. I have used them a few times but they do tend to fall out after a while, and also I don't really like being able to not hear then engine as that is kind of what I base my shifting on. I usually listen to one album then take them out and put in regular ear plugs when I'm on a long ride.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I've had a set of helmet headphones for a while, they are the shit.
they are flexy and stick to the insides of your helmet with velcro and are pretty unnoticeable when your taking your helmet on and off.
You can also hear your surrounding sounds well as they're not shoved right into your ears. The sound quality isn't all that bad either for a set of cheap ebay ones.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Ninexz said:
they are flexy and stick to the insides of your helmet with velcro and are pretty unnoticeable when your taking your helmet on and off.
You can also hear your surrounding sounds well as they're not shoved right into your ears. The sound quality isn't all that bad either for a set of cheap ebay ones.
linkyyyy?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Ninexz said:
Fixed.

At first I thought you said they were shit. Then I had to reread your post twice before I realised THE was in there.

Chrissybenn said:
linkyyyy?
+1 please

·
Registered
104 Posts
My IN EAR headphones are like earplugs. I don't listen to the music very loud so I can still hear the engine, but the wind noise is GREATLY reduced. Once I get my helmet on, it only takes a little adjusting and they'll stay in for as long as I ride. Plus they have the remote on the right earphone wire for volume, play/pause and next track. It even has a Mic so I can record the sound of the bike LOL.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
I've got a KBC for the road which is pretty noisy, and a pair of AGV stealth's for the track. The stealths are still loud as, imo but there's less wind noise and more outside world noise.

I wore a mate's shoei, couldn't believe how quiet it was.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Chrissybenn said:
Ninexz said:
linkyyyy?
I just had a look around on ebay and it doesn't seem like they have any.
Theres a possibility that they might have been discontinued :\

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
I must be weird - I love to hear the wind shrieking and getting buffeted around. I dont even have a windscreen lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts